Spenser & Kauffmann launches a social project focusing on accelerating legal education
Spenser & Kauffmann strives to enhance the rule of law and legal market development through accelerating legal education. Bridging the gap between the current curriculum of law schools and the needs in the modern legal marketplace is the challenge Spenser and Kauffmann is responding to via the project, which is designed to benefit law students, Ukrainian businesses and society, as a whole.
Spenser & Kauffmann launches a unique social project, setting achievable and practical student-focused, market-focused, and society-focused goals:
- Student-focused: to bridge the gap between the current curriculum of law schools and the needs in the modern legal marketplace, and to acquire critical new competencies (e.g. negotiations skills, law practice technology and innovation knowledge, project management skills) to deliver legal services to the public efficiently, effectively and profitably.
- Market-focused: to breed highly competent and internationally integrated law graduates for the Ukrainian legal marketplace, including law firms, businesses, government and court systems.
- Society-focused: to enhance the rule of law through internationally trained young lawyers, who are taught to adhere to international standards and professional ethics.
The Project launches with two components: Written Advocacy and Legal Writing Contest and a Moot Court Society Support.
Written Advocacy and Legal Writing Contest will challenge law students on the issues of Corporate, Tax, International Private Law and Assets’ Structuring. The language of the Contest is English. The Contest includes 4 stages: (1) collecting applications; (2) collecting the completed Contest assignments: legal memoranda and opinion letters; (3) announcing the 10 finalists by Spenser & Kauffmann’s award committee; (4) presenting the prize money to the 3 winning contestants.
Valentyn Zagariya, the Managing Partner of Spenser & Kauffmann, is very excited about the launch of the Project jointly with the firm’s enhanced team: “We designed this Project to become an accelerator-to-practice for law students. We encourage students to dive deeper into law, study international conventions and agreements, analyse the application of law by international institutions and arbitrations.”.
Moot Court Society
In 2018 Spenser & Kauffmann has signed a Memorandum on Cooperation with Lviv Moot Court Society and Lviv Branch of the UBA Students League. Spenser & Kauffmann has also committed to support the team in Frankfurt Investment Arbitration Moot Court 2018.
During the past two years the firm trained and sponsored more than 20 students, participating in international Moot Courts. 10 of them interned with the firm and were offered employment. “We invest into the future of the legal market. We have always been the best friend to the young, the talented, and the hardworking. Last year Spenser & Kauffmann’s Contest, which the firm organized jointly with the UBA, collected the record 200 applications, 59 unique essays, produced 10 finalists and 3 winners”.
Spenser & Kauffmann annually supports students in international legal contests. In 2016-2017 the firm supported at least 5 student teams of Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University in the most prestigious legal contests:
- The Annual Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Vienna, 2017
- Frankfurt Investment Arbitration Moot Court, Frankfurt, 2017
- International Commercial Mediation Competition, Paris, 2017
- International Criminal Court Competition, The Hague, 2016
- International Commercial Mediation Competition, Paris, 2016
Spenser & Kauffmann, founded in 2006, is one of the leading Ukrainian law firms recommended by international legal directories, including IFLR 1000, the Legal 500, Best Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal. The firm is also named among the Top-20 law firms in Ukraine according to the ranking of Yuridicheskaya Practika Publishing House.
Spenser & Kauffmann advises individual clients and businesses on:
- Asset Tracing and Forensic;
- Banking & Finance;
- Corporate and Tax Structuring;
- Corporate law;
- Criminal law;
- Direct Investments;
- Dispute Resolution;
- Labour and Employment;
- Private Wealth Management.
Spenser & Kauffmann offers the following industry expertise:
- Banks and Financial Institutions;
- Energy and Resources;
- Private-Public Partnership;
- Real Estate and Construction;
- Telecommunications and IT;
- Transport and Infrastructure.